My next project is a logo plush for Noah's Ark Children's Hospice. Their logo has a boy, girl, a house with two giraffes sticking out from the roof, all on a boat. I decided to go with wool felt to allow sufficient detail in 3D. To make the 2D logo into a 3D plush, I added curves to places to create shape and lengthened measurements to accommodate the curves without losing size. I want to share the pattern I designed to turn this lovely 2D logo into a 3D plush.
Here is the original logo I started with.
First is the pattern of the house. On the top right corner, you can see a picture of the finished house with the giraffe heads.
I think I missed one piece, for the other side of the house. This is a simple rectangle made by the smaller side of the roof side triangle and the smaller side of the house side rectangle- simple!
I cut out two roof pieces, one to sew onto the rest of the house and giraffes, and another to glue on top to achieve a clean finish. The window can be cut out from white wool felt from the outline of the window pane pattern. To get the house base sturdy, I added a rectangular cardboard cutout the same size as the house bottom piece at the bottom of the sewn base, filled it with polyester toy filling, and topped with another cardboard cutout of the same size before sewing on the roof. Cereal boxes are handy for this.
Onto the wee gal. I wanted to keep everything as close to the original logo as possible, so I didn't have much choice in the colours. So I went all out with the shoes! Here is her pattern.
The two front body pieces get sewn along the middle and they form the full legs. The back body pieces form the back of the top half of the body and attach to the legs. For the hair front piece, the small pointy bit holding the two sides of the hair is only there to hold the two sides together and is not part of the pattern. For the clothing, the top is held closed at the back with a button in the middle. I used back stitch to sew everything together except for ladder stitch to close the body and blanket stitch for the shoes.
On to the wee lad. The boy is made in essentially the same way as the girl, except for the outfit and the hair. Here is his pattern.
The boy's body is put together in the same way as the girl's. I used multiple buttons to close the boy's top in the back instead of the one for the girl. The shoes are a bit bigger in height and I also put two pockets on the back of the pants. The pants just slip on, so no closure necessary. The front hair pieces are similar to the girl's; the middle pointy bits holding the two sides of the hair are not part of the pattern, just holding the sides together. For the face of the children and the eyes of the giraffes, I embroidered them using a tiny satin stitch of DMC Perle Cotton (No.8) thread.
Tada! Finished bits so far!
Hope you found it helpful for your own pattern design. Now, on to the boat and the water!
Welcome! I'm Jessica.